Summ wrestling and registration open for Summer 2021 right now under Registration link and here CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Mission Statement, Philosophies, Objectives, Time Commitments, Alumni success, and Monetary Commitments
Welcome! I found wrestling as a freshman in high school. It is a sport I love and have fun with. Our goal is to introduce the basics to athletes, teach them a variety of moves, and all in a fun interactive environment. We are so hands on it's hard not to fall in love. I am proud to say after 16 years of coaching other wrestlers, my own son told me he wanted to wrestle. He now has wrestled for 4 winters and completed a summer camp and learned the challenges and rewards of the sport. Hopefully after wrestling with your options, you choose to embark on this journey with us!
What is the sport like? Two athletes compete against each other to score points or pin the other's shoulder blades to the mat. You score points by taking down your opponent, exposing their shoulder blades to the mat, or escaping from your opponent. It is a sport of control, strategy, and balance. It is a sport that both males and females can compete at all the way to the Olympic levels! You can learn the sport at any age. There is no bench or sideline for practices or competitions. Everyone will wrestle. The only equipment needed for practice are wrestling shoes and comfortable workout clothing. Competitions require a singlet (wrestling uniform), head gear (protects ears), and wrestling shoes.
Mission = Our goal for each athlete and family is to build a core of values that will remain and grow with each child and family throughout their lives. We want to build the values of TRUST (T= Teamwork; R=Responsibility; U=understanding; S=Sacrifice; T=Toughness). We expect that these values translate to all aspects of their lives and influence their behaviors in a positive and constructive manner.
- A core of values is the most important aspect of building a life around education and sports.
- All coaches, officials, volunteers, athletes, and their families embody and believe in these core values as a positive representative of their families, Colts Wrestling, South County Athletic Association, and the South County community as a whole.
- Education and sports are only learned through a commitment of time and patience from the family. Please attend as many practices, meets, and team activities as possible. We all have many commitments to balance and the program staff expects a clear line of communication for attendance to practices, meets, and team activities.
- Positive and constructive communication are required from program managers, coaches, parents, and athletes. Communication should be positive and constructive and not negative and inflammatory. Negative and inflammatory communication does not support the values and relationships necessary to maintain our mission statement. Please see the communications protocol web page under Colts Wrestling for guidelines on how to communicate on certain issues. If you are ever in doubt, please contact Commissioner and Head Coach Jeffrey Payne first at
- Families must be committed to help at practices, meets, and team activities. As for any activity that your child is involved in, the total family supporting and buying in to philosophies is the best way to ensure a valuable and enjoyable experience that will carry over to the foundation of your child’s own values and education.
- Build a core of values in each athlete and their families.
- Instruct and support an education in competitive sports through practices, meets, and team activities.
- Instruct and demonstrate the proper etiquette and sportsmanship necessary to compete in Northern Virginia Wrestling Federation’s wrestling meets.
- Instruct, demonstrate, and develop the basic skills necessary to compete at the sport of wrestling.
- Encourage athletes to meet their fullest potential as positive athletes, team mates, students, family members, and ambassadors of one of the oldest sports in the world.
- Celebrate and acknowledge the accomplishments of athletes and their families.
SCAA Colt's Wrestling will begin its third season this winter with practices beginning the second week of November and lasting through the end of February. We will begin Tuesday November 13 with practices. Practices will be held twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8 at South County High School's wrestling room. There is a Wednesday practice for athletes in Grades 4-8 6:30-7:30. If registration is larger than 36 athletes the athletes will be assigned a group to practice on opposite days. Athletes will be assigned an official group once registration is complete and they will then practice Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. There are 25 practices total.
SCAA Colts Wrestling Practices:
Tuesdays/Thursdays 6:30-8:00 PM (IF registration numbers are under 36)
*****If registration numbers are over 36, around 40 participants, we will have alternating practice nights
Mondays/Wednesdays K-4th Grade 6:30-7:30
Tuesdays/Thursdays 5th-8th Grade 6:30-7:45**********
Meets will be on Sundays beginning December 9. There will be 8 tournaments they can participate in and then a finals tournament at the end of February.
There will be some breaks from tournaments over FCPS fall and winter holidays. We will follow the FCPS schedule most weeks. There will be optional practices over the FCPS winter holidays which will be emailed out once we are in season.
Tournament competition times will be staggered by age group. Last year's were:
K-2 weigh in 8-8:30 compete 3 matches
3-4 weigh in 10-10:30 compete 3 matches
5-6 weigh in 12:30-1 compete 3 matches
7-8 weigh in 2:30-3 compete 3 mathces
Eligibility Open to: Boys & Girls
born between: 01/01/2005 and 12/31/2014
Meet locations will vary all over Northern Virginia and the schedule will be posted and communicated with you once it is approved and finalized by the league in the fall. Meets have ranged from Loudon County, primarily across Fairfax County, and as far south as Northern Stafford County. Normal meets are designed to match up athletes based on age, weight, and experience to allow them to compete in at least three individual matches and hone their skills. The Regional is designed as a competitive full scale tournament in which athletes will compete to earn a medal and placement against other competitors.
Season-end Finale Tournament Requirements:
Wrestlers are generally required to participate in a minimum number of tournaments throughout the season to qualify for the final tournament based on NVWF Bylaws and club votes at seasonal board meetings. In season 2018-19 the requirements were one half the total number plus one (so...5 meets).
9 Colts wrestlers have gone on to wrestle in high school since the program was started.
9 of those wrestlers also participate in another club, activity, sport, etc. including football, lacrosse, soccer, rugby, baseball, Boy Scouts, chorus, orchestra
Currently 3 Colts wrestlers are wrestling varsity for the high school team - 1 was a state alternate as a freshman, and 2 were state qualifiers as a sophomores
Registration is $160 which includes payment to the NVWF league, USA wrestling insurance, team practice shirt, and program fees.
Wrestling singlet ADDITIONAL expense (one piece uniform) will be approximately $70 and will only need to be purchased once during their youth wrestling career with SCAA. If they grow out of it, they can purchase a new one, or communicate with other families to trade or buy each other’s.
Wrestling shoes range in price from $35 for a youth pair to over $100. The coaching staff recommends a more cost affordable youth pair for first time wrestlers. They can be bought at Modell's, Dicks, etc.
Wresting head gear to protect the athlete’s ears, this is required in meets, which ranges in cost from $15 to $40. Once again, the coaching staff recommends a more affordable head gear for first time wrestlers. They can be bought at Modell's, Dicks, etc.
TOTAL is approximately $160 (registration)**+$70 (singlet)**+$35 (shoes)+$15(headgear) = $280
** = mandatory to be purchased through SCAA
Team Spirit wear, other than the singlet, is optional and available on the spirit wear page.